Pam Garcia-Rivera is the Media, Information & Communication career advisor. She is located in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication and serves students majoring in Journalism and Communication Arts, along with students Pam can provide advice on internship and job search strategies, review resumes and cover letters, practice interviewing, and provide advice on networking and figuring out your career path. She also coordinates many professional development events each semester that are focused on careers in the communication industry. Pam is available by appointment and drop-in advising.
SuccessWorks is the career development office serving students in the College of Letters and Science. Advisors at SuccessWorks specialize in career communities to help you explore opportunities within an industry or field. SuccessWorks offers a career closet for students who need professional clothing for interviews, internships, and jobs; a lively schedule of career events and workshops throughout the year; walk-in advice for resumes and cover letters, and even funding opportunities for summer internships!
Job & Internship Resources
Finding Jobs & Internships
There are many resources available to find jobs and internships – here are a few to get you started in your search:
- Handshake is the go-to place where companies looking to recruit UW-Madison students post their internships and full-time jobs. It’s also the place where you can sign up for on-campus interview and find out about companies visiting campus for information sessions.
- UW-Madison Student Job Center lists both on- and off-campus opportunities, including internships and part-time work.
- The Department of Communication Arts & the School of Journalism and Mass Communication curate a list of current internship and job opportunities related to all communication fields.
- Big Shoes Network lists advertising, communications and marketing jobs from internships to entry-level to senior-level positions. All positions are located in Wisconsin, Illinois and Minnesota.
- The D.C. Public Affairs & Communications Jobs blog provides up-to-date listings of public affairs, communications, public relations, media, web development, lobbying and related opportunities available in the Washington, D.C. metro area.
- LinkedIn is a comprehensive job search and networking social media tool where companies around the world post their opportunities.